From prig to bohemian in just five short decades

I have a confession to make. I used to be a stamp prig. That's because deep inside I'm a bit of a traditionalist. Growing up with the mail was royal, complete with the national coat of arms, posties wore military-style uniforms, and stamps from the government had the imprint “On Her Majesty's Service.” Stamps were similarly staid and solid. With the exception of Christmas stamps, which were a little more colourful, most were printed in just one or two colours and it was rare to see anything but a Queen Elizabeth II definitive on letter. Continue reading →

Philately is a destination

I’m a big fan of collecting, but not a big fan of structure. For instance, when I look at stamp exhibits I’m more interested in the story than the details of the exhibit. I have to remind myself that judges look at more than just a good read, but have to take so much more into consideration. From the perspective of exhibiting that makes a lot of sense. It is a scored event that moves from the local to the international levels, so consistency among judges is the only way a serious exhibitor can move ahead. Continue reading →

A virtual Canadian philatelic club?

There has been a lot of discussion in recent years over the future of philatelic clubs, societies and associations. We have seen some clubs fold, others near the brink of extinction due to a lack of volunteers, and then there are clubs that are very active. A recent survey by Canadian Stamp News certainly suggests there is opportunity for growth. We asked, “Do you belong to a stamp club in Canada?” Of the 67 per cent of respondents who answered the question, a total of 122 (40 per cent) said yes. The remaining 183 (60 per cent) said no. Wow, what a surprise. Think about it…almost two-thirds of the collectors who responded are not members of a stamp club. Continue reading →

Revived show will bring collectors – of all stripes – together

The show will go on! I am referring to the National Postage Stamp Show, formerly run by the Canadian Stamp Dealers’ Association (CSDA). However, we are expanding it to include coins, paper money and other exonumia materials. First, I want to deliver a loud shout-out to Rick Day, president of the CSDA and its executive director, John Sheffield, for their great help and support in making the transition. Secondly, another loud shout out to the Canadian stamp dealers who have been very supportive of our efforts to make sure the show continues. We had sent out a survey shortly after we announced Trajan Media was acquiring the show assets from the CSDA. Almost two-thirds of the dealers responded with positive feedback and suggestions on how to improve the show so we can turn it into a profitable and rewarding experience for the show organizers, the dealers and the public. This is a partnership that can benefit all of us. Continue reading →

Keep up to date with the philatelic community

Sign up to receive our newsletter.

Canadian Stamp News

Canada

Canadian Stamp News is Canada's premier source of information about stamp collecting and related fields.

Although we cover the entire world of philatelics, the majority of our readers are Canadian, and we concentrate on the unique circumstances surrounding collecting in our native land.

Send Us Your Event

Running an event? Send it to us and we will display it on Canadian Stamp News!

Submit Event →

Subscribe To 26 Issues For Just $47.99/year

Subscribe today to receive Canada's premier stamp publication. Canadian Stamp News is available in both paper and digital forms.

Subscribe Now