There’s a long and storied history of Organized Philately in Kelowna, B.C., located on Okanagan Lake in the Okanagan Valley.
This year marks the 90th anniversary of the founding of one of the city’s clubs, the Kelowna and District Stamp Club (KDSC). In celebration of the club’s 90th anniversary, local collector and artist Peter Lepold—who’s also the KDSC publicity chair—created a Picture Postage stamp.
The KDSC (Chapter 90 of The Royal Philatelic Society of Canada) can trace its roots back to 1926, when it was formed as the Kelowna Philatelic Club. The club’s first elected president was J. F. Britton the first elected president. It applied for membership in The RPSC on Sept. 21, 1967.
In a press release dated October 1981, there is a reference made to a “Kelowna Stamp Club;” however, it’s unknown if this Kelowna Stamp Club was a continuation of the Kelowna Philatelic Club (but with a name change), or if the Kelowna Philatelic Club was the first stamp club in the city. It’s also unknown exactly when the Kelowna Stamp Club became the KDSC.
What is known is in the fall of 1980, the KDSC joined the Okanagan Mainline Philatelic Association (OMPA) as Chapter 4. Each year, the KDSC is responsible for hosting at least one valley-wide meeting of the OMPA. In recent years, this meeting has been held in Lake Country, B.C.
Aside from the KDSC, there are two stamp clubs operating in the Okanagan Valley. Together, the KDSC; Vernon Stamp Club; and Penticton and District Stamp Club formed the regional club known as the OMPA. For more information, visit okanaganstampclubs.ca.
The KDSC currently meets on the second Monday of each month (excluding July and August) at Branch 17 of the Senior Citizens Association. In addition to a short philatelic presentation, each KDSC meeting also includes a small auction as well as buying, selling and trading between its 30-plus members.