On today’s date in 1890, Saskatchewan’s first Young Men’s Christian Association (YMCA) was founded in Regina.
At the time, Reginians began conducting YMCA activities in various downtown churches, halls and homes until a permanent meeting place was built in 1908. The city’s first YMCA, which was on the corner of 12th Avenue and Cornwall Street, was partially destroyed by the Regina Cyclone of 1912; however, it was rebuilt and used until 1959, when a new building was constructed on the corner of 13th Avenue and Smith Street, the association’s current location.
Renovated in 1976 and again in 1992, the YMCA became the “Family YMCA of Regina” in 1980.
2001 YMCA STAMP
In 2001, celebrations were held across the country to mark the 150th anniversary of the YMCA in Canada.
Canada Post issued a 47-cent stamp (Scott #1925) in honour of the YMCA’s commitment to building strong families and strong communities for 150 years. Printed by the Canadian Bank Note Company on Tullis Russell paper, four million stamps were issued.
Designed by Hélène L’ Heureux of Gottschalk+Ash International in Montreal, the stamp’s design uses the letter “Y” as a banner to salute the institution’s 150 years of work.