The Society for Costa Rica Collectors (SOCORICO) recently announced its 2018-2020 board of directors following recent elections, which saw David Giles, of Ottawa, Ont., elected as president of the international society that specializes in the study of stamps and postal history of Costa Rica.
An accomplished philatelist, philatelic organizer, lotter, auctioneer, exhibitor and writer, Giles is currently the retail manager of Chris Green Stamps and the principal auctioneer with Sparks Auctions. He was also previously employed by Ian Kimmerly Stamps.
BOARD OF DIRECTORS
Other members of the executive include:
- Vice-President Dr. Luis Escalante, of San Jose, Costa Rica;
- Treasurer Leslie E. Bissell, of Kansas City, Kansas;
- Director James Drymiller, of Nicoya, Costa Rica;
- Director Jessica Catherine Rodriguex, of San Jose, Calif.;
- Webmaster Larry Fillion, of Acton, Mass.;
- Librarian Dr. Hector R. Mena, of Baton Rouge, La.; and
- Raul Hernandez, of Metairie, La., who now assumes the past president position.
SOCORICO was organized in 1963 and currently has a membership of more than 200 collectors around the world. It is a U.S.-based group of collectors interested in the study of the postage stamps, revenue stamps and postal history of Costa Rica. It publishes a quarterly publication, The Oxcart, and is affiliate number 96 of the American Philatelic Society.