In celebration of its 70th anniversary, the Society of Israel Philatelists (SIP) is holding a draw for an unused mint set of Israel’s first stamp issue (Scott #1-9).
The Scott catalogue value for a hinged set of Israel’s first issue, which was released on May 16, 1948—the same year the State of Israel was proclaimed by the Jewish National Council in Palestine—is $275.
The draw will include all new SIP members who join the society, whose immediate past president, Ed Kroft, is currently the president of The Royal Philatelic Society of Canada. Kroft, of Vancouver, B.C., also serves as the chair of the SIP’s publicity and research committees.
To qualify for the draw, new members will need to sign up and pay for their membership by Feb. 20, 2019.
Membership in the SIP offers access to:
- the society’s journal, The Israel Philatelist, and journal archives;
- downloadable presentations;
- white papers written by SIP members;
- SIP forums and trading centre; and
- fellow collectors across the globe.