With more Canadians doing their holiday shopping online, parcel volumes have begun to soar, setting up what Canada Post is expecting to be a record-breaking season.
According to Canada Post, it delivers two out of three parcels ordered online, the Crown corporation has significantly boosted its seasonal resources and revamped its operations to ensure that retailers can meet customer expectations, and that gift-givers across the country receive their orders on time.
A Canada Post media release states that holiday preparations include:
- Starting Nov. 2, Canada Post will be delivering parcels on weekends, which translates into approximately 200,000 delivery hours across Canada over the holiday period.
- Also beginning on November 2, parcel and mail processing will operate 24/7 inside its major facilities.
- More than 3,000 seasonal workers have been hired in preparation for the increase in parcel volumes and will complement its 49,000 delivery and processing employees.
- Canada Post has doubled its capacity with national transportation suppliers.
- Air transportation capacity has been increased significantly.