Canadian philatelist Charles Verge will be one of nearly 30 members of the jury at Stockholmia 2019, the international celebration of the 150th anniversary of The Royal Philatelic Society London (RPSL), next spring.
More than 300 exhibits across 2,000 frames will be displayed at the international exhibition, which will run May 29-June 2 in the Swedish capital, Stockholm. Most of the exhibition – 86 per cent – will comprise competitive exhibits while the remaining space will be left for non-competitive displays. The philatelic displays and literature exhibits, of which there are nearly 90, represent 368 RPSL Fellows and members from 44 different countries, including Canada.
Coinciding with the exhibit submission deadline this September, The RPSL announced the exhibition’s international jury, which features members from 14 countries, including:
- Hong Kong;
- the U.K.; and
- the U.S.
The jury president will be Denmark’s Lars Engelbrecht, a signatory of the Roll of Distinguished Philatelists (RDP), with Peter Nordin, of Sweden, acting as secretary to the jury.
A Fellow of both The Royal Philatelic Society of Canada (RPSC) and RPSL, Verge is an international and national judge of more than two decades and a past president of both The RPSC and the American Association of Philatelic Exhibitors (AAPE). From 2006-11, he also served as treasurer, executive committee member and Canadian delegate for the Federación Inter-Americana de Filatelia (FIAF). He received the Queen Elizabeth II Golden Jubilee Medal for his philatelic achievements in 2002.
In addition to Verge, Engelbrecht and Nordin, the other judges include:
- Bengt Bengtsson, of Sweden;
- Gary Brown, of Australia;
- Andrew Cheung, of Hong Kong;
- Santiago Cruz, of Colombia;
- James Gough, an RDP signatory, of the U.S.;
- Malcolm Groom, of Australia;
- Erik Hamberg, of Sweden;
- Christopher Harman, an RDP signatory, of the U.K.;
- Bill Hedley, of the U.K.;
- Damian Läge, of Germany;
- Peter McCann, an RDP signatory, of the U.S.;
- Jane Moubray, an RDP signatory, of the U.K.;
- Henrik Mouritsen, of Denmark;
- Ari Muhonen, of Finland;
- Jukka Mäkinen, of Finland;
- Koichi Sato, an RDP signatory, of Japan;
- Andreas Schlichter, of Argentina;
- Stephen Schumann, an RDP signatory, of the U.S.;
- Hallvard Slettebö, of Norway;
- Michael Smith, of the U.K.;
- Peter Suhadolc, of Slovenia;
- Lars Peter Svendsen, of Denmark;
- W. Danforth Walker, an RDP signatory, of the U.S.;
- Frank Walton, an RDP signatory, of the U.K.; and
- Fredrik Ydell, of Sweden.
The jury was approved by the RPSL council in co-ordination with the Association of British Philatelic Societies.
For more information, visit stockholmia2019.se.