On today’s date in 1879, the city of Guelph was incorporated.
On April 23, 2002, Canada Post featured the city on a commemorative envelope.
Founded by John Galt on St. George’s Day (April 23) 1827, the city of Guelph was named in honour of the Royal Family and is considered one of the first planned towns in Canada. As was custom at the time, Galt cut down a large maple tree to mark the ceremony. Galt, a respected Scottish novelist and superintendent of the British development firm the Canada Company, designed the quaint town to attract settlers.
However, the city didn’t grow beyond the size of a village until 1856, when the Grand Trunk Railroad reached it from Toronto. After its arrival came many of Guelph’s prominent buildings, including a number designed by high-profile Toronto-based architects but several more produced by a talented group of local architects, builders and carvers.
Today, the city of Guelph has a population of 100,000 and is home to the Guelph Stamp Club.