The Calgary Philatelist, the bimonthly newsletter of the Calgary Philatelic Society, was one of six gold-medal winning publications in the American Philatelic Society’s (APS) recent newsletter competition.
According to the APS, the annual competition highlights philatelic newsletter editors in an effort to commend their work on behalf of the hobby. Each submission receives a judges’ critique on the newsletter’s content and format with suggestions for possible improvements. The APS currently has about 465 chapter clubs.
This year, competition manager Judy Johnson was joined by judges Terry Dempsey, of Grayson, Georgia; David Paddock, of Marietta, Georgia; Melanie Rogers, of Chicago, Illinois; and Amy Wieting, of Bowling Green, Kentucky.
“We are fortunate to have this level of expertise assisting us in the judging and it speaks to the value of the competition,” said Johnson.
Fifteen entries were submitted in the multi-page publications category. The winners include:
- Calgary Philatelist (Calgary Philatelic Society), edited by Dale Speirs, of Calgary, Alta.
- Hollywood Philatelist (Hollywood Stamp Club), edited by Enrique Setaro, of Miami, Fla.
- Knoxville Philatelic Society News (Knoxville Philatelic Society), edited by Tom Broadhead, of Knoxville, Tn.
- The Souvenir Sheet (Lincoln Stamp Club), edited by David Frye, of Denton, N.E.
- Philatelic Society of Lancaster County (Philatelic Society of Lancaster County), edited by Dr. Paul Petersen, of Lancaster, Pa.
- Stamp Chatter (Sequoia Stamp Club), edited by James Giacomazzi, of Redwood City, Calif.
- Buffalo Stamp Club (Buffalo Stamp Club), edited by Alfred Carroccia and Alan Davis, of East Aurora, N.Y.
- Stamping Around (Mid-Cities Stamp Club), edited by Peter Elias, of Plano, Texas
- The Postmaster (New Haven Philatelic Society), edited by Campbell Buchanan, of Branford, Ct.
- The Oklahoma Philatelist (Oklahoma Philatelic Society), edited by Reginald Hofmaier, of Yukon, Ok.
- Palo Duro Philatelist (Palo Duro Philatelic Society), edited by John Abrams, of Albuquerque, New Mexico
- The Stamp Express (Southern Nevada Stamp Club), edited by Melodye McGroarty, of Las Vegas, N.V.
- GRSC Newsletter (Greater Richmond Stamp Club), edited by Marcel Borris, of Midlothian, Va.
- The Magnifying Glass (Wyoming Valley Stamp Club), edited by Ron Breznay, of Hanover Township, Pa.
- Manchester Stamp Club Newsletter (Manchester Stamp Club), edited by Richard Olson, of Fremont, N.H.
The deadline for entries in the 2017 APS Newsletter Competition (for newsletters produced this year) is Jan. 15, 2018.
Entry forms are available in PDF format at stamps.org/Club-Benefits.