Home Forums General Discussion Local clubs

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Jesse
    Participant

What local clubs are you a member of, and how long have you been a member? Have you had any executive roles? If so, how did those roles benefit you, your club and the hobby at large?

I’ll go first.

Local Clubs I belong(ed) to:

East Toronto Stamp Club ( 1 yr )
    North Toronto Stamp Club (Continuous since 2004)
    Barrie District Stamp Club (1 yr)
    Nova Scotia Stamp Club (3 yrs)
    British North America Philatelic Society (1 yr)
    Royal Philatelic Society of Canada (2 yrs)

I have held executive roles at NTSC and director roles at the RPSC and NSSC. Taking on the various club executive roles (even as a back-up) are crucial to understanding the operations of our organizations for collaboration’s sake at a bare minimum. It is important to circulate within the executive roles to get to know, hands-on, the processes and routines that makes up the inter-connected stamp club ‘being’. Continual improvement of these processes is the benefit we should strive for as club executives. For the hobby at large, one of the benefits of serving in these club roles, is the building of skills, (e.g. leadership and social skills) that can be applied cross-functionally to other echelons of organized philately. I would encourage volunteering at stamp clubs to anyone already in or entering the hobby, or those about to. The rewards to both self and club, of chipping in, go beyond the mere task at hand.

Leon Matthys

Jesse
    Participant

Thanks for sharing, Leon; quite the long list!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Canadian Stamp News

Canada

Canadian Stamp News is Canada's premier source of information about stamp collecting and related fields.

Although we cover the entire world of philatelics, the majority of our readers are Canadian, and we concentrate on the unique circumstances surrounding collecting in our native land.

Send Us Your Event

Running an event? Send it to us and we will display it on Canadian Stamp News!

Submit Event →

Subscribe To 26 Issues For Just $59.99/year

Subscribe today to receive Canada's premier stamp publication. Canadian Stamp News is available in both paper and digital forms.

Subscribe Now