On Nov. 10, 1852, Bishop’s College in Lennoxville, Quebec, was chartered as a university.
The following January it received official designation, allowing it to grant degrees. The name was changed to University of Bishop’s College, and in 1958 it became Bishop’s University.
The college was founded in 1843 under the sponsorship of the Anglican Bishop of Quebec, to provide training for the clergy and to offer a liberal education to the country at large. In 1891 it became the first university in Quebec to grant a medical degree to a woman.
In 1947 it was secularized and became a non-denominational body.
The present campus occupies 500 acres in Lennoxville. About one-third of the students live in residence, and more than half of full-time students come from outside Quebec, including more than 40 countries. The total full and part-time enrollment is about 2,500.
On Jan. 28, 2003, the university was commemorated as part of a series of university stamps designed by Denis L’Allier of Montreal. The stamp featured McGreer Hall, the University’s first building, erected in 1846.