On today’s date in 1934, Canada’s Post Office Department issued a two-cent commemorative stamp (Scott #210) to mark the 150th anniversary of New Brunswick’s founding.
Printed by the British American Bank Note Co, the issue had a print run of 5,050,000 stamps. It went on sale Aug. 16, 1934, coinciding with celebrations that took place in New Brunswick in commemoration of the sesquicentennial anniversary.
The stamp’s design features the Great Seal of the Province of New Brunswick. The original seal is believed to be no longer in existence. With letters patent dated Feb. 21, 1785, it was forwarded to Thomas Carleton, governor of the colony, from the Court of St. James. The basic design on the obverse was the same on all great seals granted the colony by succeeding monarchs on their accession to the throne.
A description follows: “A representation of a ship sailing up a river, on the borders of which is a new settlement with lofty pines on each side, destined to Naval purposes….”
The Latin inscription, SIGILL PROVINCIA NOV BRUNS, means, “Seal of the Province of New Brunswick.”
The motto, SPEM REDUXIT, “It brings back hope,” relates to the circumstances involved in the establishment of the colony.