On today’s date in 1906, King Edward VII granted a coat of arms to the province of Saskatchewan.
Fifty years later, in January 1966, Canada’s Post Office Department (POD) featured the various provincial flowers and coats of arms as part of its Floral Emblem series (Scott #417-429A). The prairie lily (Lilium philadelphieum), which was officially adopted as Saskatchewan’s emblem in 1941, was depicted alongside the province’s coat of arms on a five-cent stamp (SC #425).
Then, in June 1979, the POD featured the provincial and territorial flags of Canada in a special Canada Day series (SC #821-832), which included a 17-cent stamp (SC #828) depicting the flag of Saskatchewan. The flag was adopted about a decade earlier, in September 1969, after a province-wide competition that saw more than 4,000 entries.
A sheet of 12 stamps depicts the flags of the 12 provinces and territories that made up Canada in 1979. The following year, Newfoundland and Labrador (pictured with the Union Jack) adopted its own flag, and in 1999, the territory Nunavut was established.
The flags’ designs – by Montreal artist Raymond Bellemare, who based his interpretations on the official written heraldic descriptions – were produced using the tradition and conventions of heraldry. Nearly 5.5 million of each of these stamps were printed by Ashton-Potter Ltd.