“The postal needs of Canadians are changing,” reads the report. “We are changing to meet them. As the growth of digital communication continues to reduce the use of paperbased mail, Canada Post is reinventing the postal system. Our role in the digital economy has placed us at the centre of e-commerce. We are Canada’s leading parcel delivery company. And we are a leader in more than just delivery, helping e-commerce entrepreneurs grow and compete, and creating innovations like FlexDelivery that give busy Canadians more convenience. We are focused on growing Parcels revenue and strengthening our rebranded Canada Post Smartmail Marketing business while addressing the serious challenge posed by declining mail volumes.”
The report explains how the Crown corporation is “setting a transformational path to ensure we sustain the 253-year-old postal system for the next generation of Canadians.”
“Throughout the transformation, Canada Post remains committed to social responsibility. This is evident in several highlights:
- In 2015, we reduced lost-time injury frequency by 17 per cent. We have reduced this key measure by more than 44 per cent over the past four years.
- In 2015, we contracted our main air network to a new supplier with more fuel-efficient aircraft and transferred some shipments to less intensive ground networks. This helped significantly reduce carbon emissions attributed to domestic air delivery in 2015.
- Also in 2015, we added more than 180 Ford Transit Connect fuel-efficient vehicles. Fuel-efficient vehicles now make up more than half of our fleet.
- Four more major building projects were certified under the LEED green building program.
- Over the past three years, the Canada Post Community Foundation for Children granted approximately $4 million to help deliver a brighter future for children and youth in Canada.
- In 2015, Canada Post employees and retirees volunteered more than 250,000 hours to reply to more than 1.5 million letters that children wrote to Santa as part of the Santa Letter-writing Program. We continually review programs to ensure they support our employees’ health and well-being, the communities we serve and the environment.”